This is our final outcome for the mosaic, the grout has been put on and washed off.This took a while as we needed to let the glue set for 24 hours and then another 24 hours on top for the grout to dry and ger washed away. I am very happy with the outcome.
Unfortunately out group didn’t manage our time very well and it left us with no time to put the mosaic up on top of the original grafitti. However we have a Photoshopped version of what it would have looked like, it looks very realistic and in the future me and my group wish to put up the mosaic.
Unlike the space invader artist, we wanted to create an irregular tiled mosaic, this is because we have to create curves to fit the mosaic perfectly onto the original piece of street art.
Ruta is the only one able to use the wood cutter in our group so she cut a piece of wood to the measurements we worked out.
I then drew out the different sections of the ‘shell’ that we of different colours.
Earlier in the week our group went down to Newport Road to get tiles, luckily the customer assistant at the tile store allowed us to take back accidentally smashed tiles, we also had to buy orange and red tiles as they had no smashed ones available to take.
We smashed up the tiles into smaller shards so that they were more versatile to fit onto the mosaic, this created a final tidier mosaic.
We found it quite fiddly to create the mosaic as it was hard to smash the tiles into shards small enough to be glued easily. Also the red tiles were significantly thicker than the other colours so it was even harder to smash them into small shards, which caused problems as the red tiles had to be fitted into the smallest area but we managed to make it work.
This was out final product of the day. We still have to let the glue set and add the grout to complete our mosaic.
Our group came up with the idea of placing a mosaic on top of an original grafitti to see if the artist would react or others who appreciate the original grafitti work. From the photos that I took we decided that we should take part of 1 grafitti and mosaic that instead of doing a whole grafitti as it is very time consuming. We all agreed on creating a mosaic from this piece of street art:
The group then made our way down to the graffiti which is just of City Road in Cardiff and measure out the part of the tortoise we would then turn into a mosaic.
I decided to do the same editing on Photoshop with creating the average blur colour, but with the photographs I got of the grafitti around cardiff so that i could compare the colours to the 20th century buildings without the grafitti.
These are the results:
There is definitely a noticeable difference to the previous edited photos i created, although the colours don’t stand out vividly you can still see a change. I have to take into consideration the fact that there is still the colour of the buildings visible in the original photos which will add to the average blur colour.
I enjoy using Photoshop so wanted to explore it a little more within my personal city project.
When looking at out dated buildings i found three things which i didn’t like about them
3. brick work
I became inspired by the ‘state of shades’ project that Société Réaliste created. To explore more into the colour of the outdated buildings, I selected several photos which I had taken of them and found the ‘average blur’ colour of the photo and placed it directly in front of the building as shows:
As you can see from these photos, there is very little colour difference, just different shades of grey. This just enhances the fact that outdated 20th century buildings, in my opinion, are and eyesore.
“Société Réaliste is a Parisian cooperative created by Ferenc Gróf and Jean-Baptiste Naudy in June 2004. It works with political design, experimental economy, territorial ergonomy and social engineering consulting. Polytechnic, it develops its production schemes through exhibitions, publications and conferences.”
State of Shades (2012) is one of the projects that Société Réaliste have done. The work visualises the colour average of masterpieces selected from the website of the Hungarian National Gallery, computed and juxtaposed using a computer program. They then average out these colours to create a city’s personal colour. They have done this for multiple cities over the world.
Roeland Otten has become an inspiration to me in my personal city project, i loved how he was camouflaging buildings in a unique way, by printing out pixelated versions of the building and placing it in front of it. As me and my group began looking at mosaics, this also reminded me of the the pixels that Otten has used in his work, so I became even more inspired to use pixels in my own work.
I began with collecting the photos of the ‘outdated’ buildings that i believed were and eyesore and i then used Photoshop to create the pixelated effect.
These are my results:
I decided that the editing would be most effective if i didn’t pixelate the whole photograph, I thought this because in Roeland Otten’s work you can see the original building as well as the pixels and the idea of seeing the original building behind the ‘pixel camouflage’ creates an important contrast that i wanted to replicate.